Friday, September 24, 2010

The Beginning

I love movies. I love just about all movies (except Wild Wild West....that movie annoys me to no freaking end). But when I caught a glimpse at the American Film Institute's 100 Greatest Movies of All Time, and saw how little of those movies I have seen, I thought that perhaps it was time to push myself to see all of these movies and really open myself up to them. I have heard of most of these movies (like who hasn't heard of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington or The Godfather?), and sometimes they have been on tv but simply been background noise while I did other things and then there were some that I just couldn't allow myself to sit through (A Clockwork Orange....ehh...watching that and the rape scene in it will be no easy feat for me, even though I've read the book!). But some of these movies are movies that have impacted society and pushed boundaries as far as social norms and censorship (Easy Rider, or The Graduate, anybody?) and some are just so beautiful that one has to sit down and give them the proper respect for the beautiful art that is on the screen (Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz).

So I have a goal: I am going to see all of the movies on this list. And I am going to do it before 2011. Yes. In the midst of finishing up my bachelors, packing up my home in Las Vegas, raising a child and relocating back to DC while Kiel deploys I am going to watch movies. A LOT of movies. Maybe I'm a sadist.

So I already have seen 17 movies on the list (mind you, I am using the 2007 AFI list):

6. Gone With the Wind, 1939.

10. The Wizard of Oz, 1939.

13. Star Wars, 1977.

22. Some Like It Hot, 1959.

24. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, 1982.
25. To Kill a Mockingbird, 1962.

34. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, 1937.

47. A Streetcar Named Desire, 1951.

56. Jaws, 1975.
57. Rocky, 1976.

66. Raiders of the Lost Ark, 1981.

72. The Shawshank Redemption, 1994.

74. The Silence of the Lambs, 1991.

76. Forrest Gump, 1994.

83. Titanic, 1997.

94. Pulp Fiction, 1994.

99. Toy Story, 1995.

I have my Netflix instant queue loaded up with 8 movies to get me started (Godfather Part 1/2, Fargo, Intolerance,Duck Soup, It Happened One Night,One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Taxi Driver). I will post what I think of each movie and hopefully I won't go crazy.

TIME FOR A CINEMATIC ADVENTURE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment