Wednesday, November 17, 2010

# 91 Sophie's Choice

The credits are rolling. Tears (and in effect, my mascara) are running down my face and I wish so badly that a) Kiel was here to snuggle with me and b) Loki wasn't napping so I could snuggle with him. I have never had a movie make me cry hysterically and uncontrollably like this before. It was painful and beautiful at the same time. Meryl Steep did an incredible performance playing the vulnerable and tormented Sophie. Peter MacNicol also did a great job showing the innocence and naivety of Stingo and Kevin Kline was easily able to play the role of Nathan, a mentally ill, but charismatic man.


To watch the flash backs of what Sophie had to endure in Auschwitz was heartbreaking and then to see how she is never able to find peace and continues to gravitate to Nathan (whom we learn is mad). It makes one wonder if their was any other option for Sophie at the end of the movie. Would any of us be able to keep on living and be able to find happiness in life after what she had to endure? Ugh....Loki needs to wake up. I need to give him lots and lots of kisses.

No comments:

Post a Comment