Monday, November 29, 2010

#63 Cabaret

While I found the movie to be adorable (Liza Minelli is wonderful as Sally Bowles, you can certainly tell Judy Garland is her mother because she immersed herself in the role and was able to capture Sally's sexuality, naivety and vulnerability ) it wasn't as good as I expected it to be from all the hype I have heard about it over the years. The soundtrack is wonderful, there is no denying it and Fosse does a great job depicting the ambiguity of Brian and Sally towards the Nazi uprising and impending World War 2 in Berlin because they are so distracted by their love affair and the night life of the Kit Kat Club, which is so true. (I can't tell you the exact date of when our troops first landed in Afghanistan or Irag.....some time after 9/11 right? But I CAN tell you all about the retard I was dating at the time and how for some stupid reason....young and clueless....I thought he was the one). Ahhhh to be young and in love and have the whole world ahead of you. I remember when Kiel and I were dating and when we first got married how we felt like the world existed just to give us a play place. Nothing else mattered, nothing else existed. But then the world shoved itself into our lives and now our world is dictated by politics and war. But.....right when he first gets back from a deployment, before the dust has settled, and before there is any indication that he has to do anything other than be with me, we have a bit of that beautiful ambiguity as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment