Thursday, November 11, 2010

# 12 The Searchers

Ok so I can understand how The Searchers is considered to be such a great movie. It's a great story- a man's returns from war to his family out west, family is slaughtered by Indians, aside from his nephew and his young niece (she was abducted by the Indians). So Man takes his nephew and searches all over to find his niece. Great idea for a story and the characters were very complex and real (Ethan's conflicting emotions due to his racism was very well played. Laurie was a great example of a woman walking the line of feminine independence as much as she could for the late 1800's, but didn't overdo it and displayed that she was still a girl that wanted the traditional get married have a family bru-ha-ha). But I just didn't like it. I personally think that John Wayne is grossly over-rated as an actor, the movie dragged horribly at times and I've stated before that I really am not a fan of westerns. It doesn't mean that I don't respect The Searchers as a movie, I can totally see how it got a top 20 spot on the list....it's just not my thing.

So as soon as my sister gets her ass back in the room, we are going to watch West Side Story with Natalie Wood (who played the older Debbie in The Searchers). And my car finally arrives today in a few hours!!!! Then later tonight I am totally indulging and making Goodwitch's (Kiel's grandmother's) peanut butter fudge. Hopefully there will be some left over after the weekend because I want to go visit my in-laws either Sunday or Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment